Author Topic: #1 Prepare for Emergency Now!  (Read 6861 times)

Offline admin

• VN Vet Sgt Maxx
  • Forum Founder - R.I.P
  • Captain Of My Soul
#1 Prepare for Emergency Now!
« on: November 14, 2015, 09:34:28 AM »
#1Get a Kit Of Emergency Supplies:
The first step is to consider how an emergency might affect your individual needs.
Plan to make it on your own, for at least three days.  It’s possible that you will not have access to a medical facility or even a drugstore. It is crucial that you and your family think about what kinds of resources you use on a daily basis and what you might do if those resources are limited or not available.

Basic Supplies:
Think first about the basics for survival – food, water, clean air and any life- sustaining items you require. Consider two kits. In one kit put everything you will need to stay where you are and make it on your own for a period of time. The other kit should be a lightweight, smaller version you can take with you if you have to leave your home. Recommended basic emergency
supplies include:

Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation

Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food and a can opener if kit contains canned food

Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert and extra batteries for both

Flashlight and extra batteries

First aid kit

Whistle to signal for help

Dust mask to help filter contaminated air and plastic sheeting and duct tape to shelter-in-place

Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties for personal sanitation

Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities

Local maps

Pet food, extra water and supplies for your pet

More Make a Plan: http://smf.surfacethemes.com/index.php?topic=44.msg71;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:39:03 PM by admin »
If You Seek, You Will Find! No matter what anyone Claims .. You Can do anything!
However if it's worth having, it takes real hard work and determination!
The one who wants you to progress is yourself.

Offline admin

• VN Vet Sgt Maxx
  • Forum Founder - R.I.P
  • Captain Of My Soul
Re: Prepare for Emergency Now!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 09:41:36 AM »
Include Medications and Medical Supplies:
If you take medicine or use a medical treatment on a daily basis, be sure you have what you need on hand to make it on your own for at least a week. You should also keep a copy of your prescriptions as well as dosage or treatment information. If it is not possible to have a week-long supply of medicines and supplies, keep as much as possible on hand and talk to your pharmacist or doctor about what else you should do to prepare.  If you undergo routine treatments administered by a clinic or hospital or if you receive regular services such as home health care, treatment or transportation, talk to your service provider about their emergency plans. Work with them to identify back-up service providers within your area and the areas you might evacuate to. If you use medical equipment in your home that requires electricity to operate, talk to your health care provider about what you can do to prepare for its use during a power outage. 

Additional Items:
In addition, there may be  other things specific to your personal needs that
you should also have on hand.  If you use  eyeglasses, hearing aids and hearing aid  batteries, wheelchair batteries, and oxygen, be sure you always have extras in your home.  Also have copies of your medical insurance, Medicare and Medicaid cards readily available.

Include Emergency Documents:
Include copies of important documents in your emergency supply kits such as family records, wills, power of attorney documents, deeds, social security numbers, credit card and bank information, and tax records.  It is best to keep these documents in a waterproof container.  Include the names and numbers of everyone in your personal support network, as well as your medical providers. Also be sure you have cash or travelers checks in your kits in case you need to purchase Items.

continued:
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 09:30:53 PM by admin »
If You Seek, You Will Find! No matter what anyone Claims .. You Can do anything!

Offline admin

• VN Vet Sgt Maxx
  • Forum Founder - R.I.P
  • Captain Of My Soul
Re: #1 Prepare for Emergency Now!
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 10:23:32 PM »
My Notes:

Doing some research and buying and trying, I found the following:

Crank Charge LED lanterns ( w/rechargeable AA batteries) and built in charger. pack of 3. with full charged batteries -last 2days, when batteries die, you can crank charge 2 mins. for 2 hours of light!

Car Battery Booster, with lighter plug to supply 12 volts. Has a Build in light and air pump. and ac plug for recharge.

Bottled water, they say can last 1 -2+ years if not opened, 2 to 4 hours opened, keep out of sun light. ( plastic can get hot and give off toxic fums. ) avoid plastic hoses if hot!

If you have a well, then you need to get a hand  pump and hose 25 thu 100' or so.

Freeze dried food can last for 10 to 25 years, check specs when shopping the on line.
I paid $ 99 bucks for 15 days 1 person, these you may buy every other month till you have enough.

Note some offer water and filters.

I also Have a PUR 17 cup water filter and extra filters, and gonna get more of these ( drinking water is your best friend )  :)

Wet wipes can be purchased in pack of 3, 80each pack cheap. for body clean up. and other uses.
Paper plates, paper towels, plastic spoons! all cheap! Bathroom tissue rolls.

White vinegar and ARM and Hammer B Soda, for clean up, sanitation of counters and bath room. Bleach and other ( Toxic cleaners ) no good! without very good Ventilation.

LED flash lights ( small ) AAA reachable batteries I have around 20 RC batteries on hand att!

Fire Extinguishers. Good First aid Kit and supplies, Duct tape!

I will post more as I can!

Remember when it happens, it's way too late and dangerous to go looking for things you'll need. they will be gone before you get there, or you may run into panic and dismay! Traffic pile ups cause you to get stuck without any way out.. so stock up and be prepared !!

regards,
Maxx
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 06:59:04 PM by admin »

Offline Scrubmeister

• Administrator
Re: #1 Prepare for Emergency Now!
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 06:50:48 AM »
Good tips Maxx!

Keep them coming.  :)